Stepping down from KDE SIG

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 30 18:01:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 01:38:45PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> The main statistic I would like to see is: what percentage of Fedora users
> are opting for KDE over Gnome?

>From our best analysis of Fedora 22 downloads, it's about:

  68%   Fedora Workstation (which is of course GNOME based)
  14%   Fedora Server (no GUI)
   5%   KDE Spin
   4%   Fedora Cloud (no GUI)
   2.5% XFCE Spin
   2.5% LXDE Spin
   2%   Mate Spin
   1%   Sugar
  <1%   Everything else

The KDE percentage was roughly the same in Fedora 20, before the "3
Editions" marketing focus. It was higher — about 7% — for F19, but the
difference doesn't seem to have come from the GNOME-based desktop,
which hovers around that 70% mark. Also note that from mirror
connection statistics, F20 and newer seem to be much bigger successes
than anything since Fedora 14, so that 5% is a chunk of a larger pie.

Of course, these numbers are based on downloads and mirror connections.
They don't really tell what people are actually _using_ once they've
done the downloads.

> Fedora seems to me to be making it harder and harder to choose KDE
> (and other alternatives to Gnome).

I don't think that's true. The Fedora design and websites team recently
put a lot of effort into redoing https://spins.fedoraproject.org/,
which puts KDE right at the top. A specific goal was to separate out
the high-quality desktop spins from the more esoteric "software bundle"
spins like Robotics or Fedora Jam — great in their own right, but kind
of unfair to the desktops to have them all mixed in the list. (You can
now find those at http://labs.fedoraproject.org/).

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>