Stepping down from KDE SIG

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 30 19:39:28 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 12:30:51AM +0530, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> What he means is that its not available directly on
> https://getfedora.org/?

Yes, although do note the upcoming design at
https://stg.getfedora.org/, which makes the link to the new
http://labs.fedoraproject.org site more prominent and includes KDE and
other icons.

>                     New users are discouraged to explore other
> established desktop environments such as Plasma which are immensely
> popular at schools and workplaces and they may find familiar to use.

I don't think "are discouraged" is quite fair. Instead, we didn't want
to bewilder and overwhelm users with a choose-your-own-adventure
presentation of Fedora. And, again, this strategy seems to be working —
we _are_ getting more Fedora users after a long downturn.

If people working on the KDE spin feel like showcasing this flavor in
schools and workplaces helps growth, _awesome_. Please do that! I
really like that Fedora has all of these different options under one
umbrella, rather than making everything other than the main focus be
the equivalent of Remixes — their own projects with mostly their own
infrastructure. But, on the other hand, presenting Fedora as a whole
bunch of components which you get to assemble just wasn't working to
help us grow.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>