[OT] please review new kernel build doc on fedora wiki

Sam Folk-Williams samfw at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 11:09:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 13:29 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 09:24 -0400, Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
> > I (with DaveJ) help maintain the kernel release notes for Fedora. A user suggested a
> > while back that we remove the building instructions from the release notes and
> > put those in a separate doc devoted to more detailed instructions on building
> > the kernel RPM (including applying patches and configuring options).
>
> I'm surprised that you advocate downloading the src.rpm and building
> from that. I would recommend checking the kernel package out from CVS
> instead. It's easier to see what you've changed ('cvs diff'), and much
> easier and quicker to update to later kernels when the Fedora folks ship
> an erratum and you want to update your own version to be based on it.

I hadn't thought of this. The src RPM method has been recommended for a
long time. I think it would be good to add an additional section on
using CVS as an alternative. I'll work on that.

> I'd also like to see the document cover building _modules_. For example,
> I have this patch to bcm43xx and how do I make a module to test it?
> I certainly don't rebuild the whole damn kernel -- I run 'make prep' in
> the CVS directory, then apply the patch manually (or hack on the code as
> appropriate), and build it with:
>   make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx modules

Good point. I added a bit about building kernel modules for the
currently running kernel (requiring the kernel-devel package). I will
also include this in the new CVS info.

Thanks,
Sam