macrofied kernel.spec

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 20:52:44 UTC 2007

> Just realized it looks like you also snuck in a kernel-PAE-debug build
> variant... ;) Damn, it'd be nice if koji could spread kernel variant
> builds of the same arch across multiple builders...

I didn't add it, it was already there.  I just made it uniform with the
others.  Maybe the hand-editted duplication had left it not working?  Or
not entirely removed when it was intended to be?

> Some of the documentation about what the -s and -r flags represent in
> the %kernel_variant_post would probably be worth adding though (just
> says [-s <s> -r <r>] right now in the comment header, and my best guess
> is s=string, r=replacement).

Yeah, it forms a sed s command.

> Only other thing I'm seeing right now, though its probably been this way
> forever, is that we're a bit inconsistent about whether we use %{name}
> or just 'kernel' in %package and %description.

That matters when doing the variant-source packages like kernel-vanilla,
which I haven't tested lately.  For the "install the kernel-foo package"
parts of %description, %{name}-foo might be better since it will make the
literal instructions match the intended reality for that case.

For the provides/requires some are intended to be %{name} and some kernel.
i.e., %{name}-debuginfo-common-%{_target_cpu}, but kernel-drm.

Thanks,
Roland