pre-release kernel release tag

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Thu Aug 9 21:24:44 UTC 2007

> On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 01:59:49PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
>  > I propose we change the release format for snapshot kernels.
>  > Now we get e.g.:
>  >
>  > kernel-2.6.23-0.89.rc2.git2.fc8
>  >
>  > and I suggest instead:
>  >
>  > kernel-2.6.23-0.rc2.git2.89.fc8
>  >
>  > That is, put the spec file version number last, not first.  This way, when
>  > we forget to reset fedora_cvs_origin after a rebase, we don't have to wait
>  > for the next kernel version to do it, just the next gitN.
>
> Is it that big a deal?  I intended to only reset the origin after each
> point release, so it doesn't really buy us anything being able to change
> this with every -git.

It's not a big deal, it's only numbers.  The motivation was that it didn't
get reset when we went from 2.6.22 to 2.6.23, and after one build hits
rawhide, it's too late.  Also, it's just better because it accurately
reflects the topology of change.  A spec release is a variant of a kernel
snapshot, not vice versa.