pre-release kernel release tag

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Aug 10 00:07:05 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 02:21:47PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 13:59 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > > I propose we change the release format for snapshot kernels.
> > > Now we get e.g.:
> > >
> > > kernel-2.6.23-0.89.rc2.git2.fc8
> > >
> > > and I suggest instead:
> > >
> > > kernel-2.6.23-0.rc2.git2.89.fc8
> > >
> > > That is, put the spec file version number last, not first.  This way, when
> > > we forget to reset fedora_cvs_origin after a rebase, we don't have to wait
> > > for the next kernel version to do it, just the next gitN.
> > >
> > > We can't make this change until 2.6.23 sails, since for rpm version
> > > comparison rc* is < any [0-9].
> >
> > Please don't do this. The kernel package is finally compliant with the
> > Fedora Packaging Guidelines and this change would break it again.
> >
> > The reason we prefix with the 0.# is to prevent versioning comparison
> > madness.
>
> What?  I didn't propose removing the 0. prefix.  What is the problem?

Look closer, there's a `#´ in Tom's reply, which is what you want to
move away. Actually the 0. prefix is not neccessary it is a leftover
from 3rd party techniques to indicate vendor hierarchies, but it's
difficult to knock out people's head.

The important bit is that by having the `#´ before the part-of-the-
version-that-had-to-be-banned-to-the-release-tag-because-otherwise-the-
version-would-not-properly-increment you become independent of any
upstream versioning trickery. git/rc versioning is not that new, and who
knows whether next year we'll have pre/rc/gold/ga/pl madness in
upstream sub-versioning.

So please keep the buildtag as `#´ is often referred to before the
part-of-the-version-that-had-to-be-banned
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net