modsign vs build-id

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 19:26:36 UTC 2007

> Roland McGrath wrote:
> >> That was from revision 1.87.
> >
> > Hmm.  Actually the failure mode from before was not "modprobe" problems,
> > but never getting that far because the insmods in the initrd failed.
> > Do you have some magical setup that needs no modules?  Or did it really
> > succeed at boot-time insmods and then modprobe fails?
>
> Looks like it really succeeded at boot-time insmods, I've got dm_*,
> ata_piix, ata_generic, libata, sd_mod, scsi_mod, ext3, jbd, mbcache and
> {e,o,u}hci_hcd modules all loaded.

Ok, color me ungentlemanly, but I have to ask if you've got the right
things installed on disk where modprobe is looking.  I mean, where did you
get those modules with good signatures for the initrd if the ones on disk
are bad?

This is encouraging me to add the hack I had in mind the other day to make
the kernel tell you the public key it's using in a /sys file.

Thanks,
Roland