Bugzilla Bug 250377: External modules of removed kernels are not removed

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 20:43:07 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 16:18 -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
>> Is anyone looking at this?

Only insofar as asking for yours and davej's thoughts about doing it.

>> The basic proposal is to create
>> /etc/kernel/preinst.d and /etc/kernel/postinst.d directories
>> and let external packages drop scripts in there that get called
>> on every kernel install.
>
> The easiest place for it to not require lots of cruft in the kernel spec
> file would be /sbin/new-kernel-pkg.

Ooh, I like that.

> I'm not going to pass judgement on it being a good idea or not though :)

I will! I think it could be a Good Thing or at least a Useful Thing for
both kmod packages and dkms payloads. Of course, I also see the
potential for abuse here... Sketchy kmods or dkms payloads could
potentially wreak havoc on kernel installs if they cause a hang or failure.

I'd be happy to take a crack at implementation.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com