Bugzilla Bug 250377: External modules of removed kernels are not removed

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Aug 15 05:00:57 UTC 2007

On 15.08.2007 04:39, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:06:23 -0400
> Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
>> When mdomsch, davej, jcm and I talked about it back in February, that
>> was the conclusion we reached.  It should be pretty simple, too --
>> just pick a directory[1], run things out of it that are executable.
>>
>> Again, leaving out whether or not its a good idea ;-)
>
> I'd rather you comment about that as well.  As I understand things,
> this would make DKMS payloads much easier.  There are some looking at
> replacing kmods with that...

Well, I'd really like to see a combination of dkms and kmod's, so
ordinary users can get pre-compiled modules as kmods (or another
packaging standard for pre-compiled kernel-modules) and other can use
dkms if they want (or it could jump in in cases where the pre-compiled
packages are not yet available).

Just relying on dkms sounds crazy in my eyes.

BTW, the real solution for the bug which is mentioned in the subject of
this mail would be to dkms put the modules in a rpm that depends on the
kernel. Then it would be removed fine on kernel-uninstall.

CU
knurd