Bugzilla Bug 250377: External modules of removed kernels are not removed

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Aug 15 12:42:11 UTC 2007

On 15.08.2007 14:32, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 07:00:57AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Well, I'd really like to see a combination of dkms and kmod's, so
>> ordinary users can get pre-compiled modules as kmods (or another
>> packaging standard for pre-compiled kernel-modules) and other can use
>> dkms if they want (or it could jump in in cases where the pre-compiled
>> packages are not yet available).
>>
>> Just relying on dkms sounds crazy in my eyes.
>>
>> BTW, the real solution for the bug which is mentioned in the subject of
>> this mail would be to dkms put the modules in a rpm that depends on the
>> kernel. Then it would be removed fine on kernel-uninstall.
>
> The modules built by dkms aren't included on a package because they
> are built on demand on the user machine.

And that's bad ^w^w can be problematic for the same reasons why
installing CPAN-Modules or other Software without using rpm.

> Or do you suggest that DKMS generate and install a RPM package when new
> modules are compiled?

The latter, which is possible afaik dkms.

BTW, I'm still interested in a kind of "kmod and dkms" merger, do have
both functionalities under one hood. But I still can't find a way to
make that work with maintaining only *one* spec-file/buildpath. I'd
appreciate it if someone could enlighten me if that's possible somehow.

CU
knurd