[Fwd: Testing the Current Upstream Kernel]

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Aug 16 16:59:29 UTC 2007

On 16.08.2007 18:37, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 06:28:14PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>  > On 16.08.2007 16:31, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>  > > On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 15:17 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>  > >> did you guys see this discussion on LKML? Should we build the vanilla
>  > >> kernel (¹)  by default during our build process and put it in some
>  > >> special repo maybe (or even in the main repo?)?
>  > >
>  > > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1742374580386548257
>  > >
>  > > "...we do readily accept bug reports against the latest Fedora
>  >       ^^
>  > > kernel..."
>  > >   --Andrew Morton (0:54:38 in the above video)
>  > >
>  > > This is probably in reference to Rawhide though,
>  >
>  > Well, I suppose at least some kernel developers might not agree with
>  > that/might not feel as part of the "we" and will ask people to test a
>  > vanilla kernel. So I'd say having them in some repo/rawhide would be nice.
>
> The work that Jarod did to get vanilla builds possible was the only
> real major thing holding us back from doing this,

Fully agreed.

> now the only remaining
> piece of the puzzle is where do kernel-vanilla packages belong?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

We mainly have three choices afaics:

 * a repo on a account on people.redhat.com / people.fedoraproject.org

 * directly from koji (e.g. build the vanilla kernel, but don't push it
to the proper repos)

 * in the proper repo

I'm unsure myself what the best place. I currently tend a bit to put it
in the main repos as that's a service I suppose some users will
appreciate. We could close all bugs that are reported specifically
against kernel-vanilla with a "report upstream, that's why we ship this
kernel".

But on the other hand: Some bugs might show up in other packages from
Fedora when the software is running under the vanilla kernel. Some users
then might say "if you ship it you need to support it". Sometimes it
might make sense to fix it, but sometimes it might require
kernel-chages, which would not work together with the "vanilla" idea.

Maybe we should just try on rawhide first and look if many of such bugs
show up?

> Once we have that figured out, regular builds and pushes are a breeze.

Should we move this discussion to fedora-devel instead, so everyone can
participate?

Cu
knurd