kernel-vanilla builds for 2.6.27-rc1

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 00:43:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 00:39 +0100, Christopher Brown wrote:
> 2008/8/7 Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 23:01 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >> http://jwboyer.fedorapeople.org/pub/
> >>
> >> Let the kernel installs begin.
> >>
> >> Hopefully I didn't fsck something up horridly.  If I did, then I'll fix
> >> it for -rc2.
> >
> > Updated to -rc2 builds now.  And the kernel-firmware Requires issue
> > should be fixed up thanks to Jarod.
>
> It looks all good from here. I'll be posting a diff of the vanilla and
> ummm ... blueberry ... dmesg in a moment. Any caveats, gotchas, test
> suites?

As for gotchas, well, it's a -rc2 kernel so be warned.  But the same is
true of rawhide in general.

My current plan is to only do vanilla builds for -rc and final releases,
unless a particular -rc is really badly broken and a git snapshot fixes
quite a bit.  A few caveats below.

The intention isn't to provide an "alternative" kernel.  It's more for
those that want to test something and see if it works on vanilla as
opposed to a patched Fedora kernel.  That should be quite rare, as the
Fedora kernels are fairly top notch and don't differ much from vanilla
anyway.

I'm sure some will use it as a "primary" kernel, but they should realize
there is no support for these and the likely response will be "try
rawhide" and/or "please report it to the Linux kernel mailing list".
Also, due to quota limitations I can really only host one kernel version
at a time.  That means as soon as -rc3 comes out, the current builds are
replaced.

As for test suites, I'm not aware of any except those that are already
available for any kernel such as LTP or the various benchmarks.

josh