RFC: split changelog out of spec

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Mon Aug 18 18:09:17 UTC 2008

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 07:43:49PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Jarod Wilson <jwilson at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> We could also, if so desired, install the split-out changelog as a %doc
>>> file, the thought being that not everyone knows to look at 'rpm -q
>>> --changelog' output or look in the srpm/cvs/etc to see what's changed.
>> This would just confuse user and is inconsistent with the rest of the distro...

How so?

> I presume the rpm command would still work

Correct.

> so I would see no harm
> in adding the changelog as a %doc (if/when it is broken-out from the
> spec file).

Just to be clear... To make sure its 100% clear which kernel the changelog
matches up with, it'd have to be %doc'd for each kernel and kernel-flavour, so
it winds up in /usr/share/doc/kernel%{?flavour:-%{flavour}}-%{version}. If its
part of kernel-doc, I think its not always obvious which actual kernel package
it matches.

With those clarifications, I don't see how it'd be confusing, or how it would
cause any meaningful consistency problems with other distros. But please do
enlighten me if I'm missing something. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com