gspca as part of the rawhide kernel?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Jul 3 07:45:06 UTC 2008

Hi all,

As some of you know I've been working on improving webcam support under Fedora,
see:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterWebcamSupport
http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/

One of the things I've been working on is in beating gspcav2 (a v4l2 port of
gspca) into shape, although I must admit most of the work has been done by
Jean-François Moine, the latest version is available from his mercurial tree
and it has been pulled into the official v4l-dvb tree for wider testing. Once
it has been in the v4l-dvb tree it will make its way into the mainline hopefuly
for 2.6.27, if not then certainly fotr 2.6.28.

To check it out see:
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~jfrancois/gspca/

Some time ago I've already done a review of the gspca_core and there are some
locking issues to solve (I already know how, I just need to code them out).

Once this is done I would like to see gspcav2 be added to the Fedora kernel, as
to make the:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterWebcamSupport

Feature a reality (also needs userspace work, I'm on this).

So my questions are:
1) would it be acceptable to cary the gspca driver as a patch (only new files
    and makefile / kconfig changes doesn't touch anything else) until it is
    merged upstream. Note that this is much needed for wider webcam support and
    that gspca is on its way to the mainline now, and I'll personally will be
    working on ironing out any issues upstream may have with gspca as is.

2) Assuming the answer to 1 is yes, how do I move forward, can I get be added
    to the kernel package acl, what are the procedures for adding a patch and
    building a new kernel, etc?

Thanks & Regards,

Hans