gspca as part of the rawhide kernel?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 17:15:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:45:06AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > As some of you know I've been working on improving webcam support under Fedora,
 > see:
 > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterWebcamSupport
 > http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/
 >
 > One of the things I've been working on is in beating gspcav2 (a v4l2 port of
 > gspca) into shape, although I must admit most of the work has been done by
 > Jean-François Moine, the latest version is available from his mercurial tree
 > and it has been pulled into the official v4l-dvb tree for wider testing. Once
 > it has been in the v4l-dvb tree it will make its way into the mainline hopefuly
 > for 2.6.27, if not then certainly fotr 2.6.28.

F10 is going to be 2.6.27, so the former would be awesome, but if it ends up being
a .28 thing, us carrying it for a little while longer isn't a big deal.

Given there's motion on this going upstream, and it has a Fedora contributor
taking responsibility for it (ie, you), I'm ok with the idea of this going in.

 > So my questions are:
 > 1) would it be acceptable to cary the gspca driver as a patch (only new files
 >     and makefile / kconfig changes doesn't touch anything else) until it is
 >     merged upstream. Note that this is much needed for wider webcam support and
 >     that gspca is on its way to the mainline now, and I'll personally will be
 >     working on ironing out any issues upstream may have with gspca as is.

yep.
I'll give the patch an eyeballing when you commit it too.

 > 2) Assuming the answer to 1 is yes, how do I move forward, can I get be added
 >     to the kernel package acl, what are the procedures for adding a patch and
 >     building a new kernel, etc?

I should flesh out the wiki page some more with these questions.
But until I do..   hit up the accounts system and request access, and I'll
add you to the acl.  The only stuff that's really different from other packages is.

* instead of a PatchN:  %patch N pair where the N's have to match up, we have
  a PatchN: (where the value of N is irrelevant), just place it somewhere near
  something similar [the uvcvideo diff for eg].  Then, instead of a %patch
  entry we have an invocation of a macro called ApplyPatch which does everything %patch
  does, but with some extra smarts (like rejecting patches with fuzz).

* As for rawhide builds..  I usually kick one off shortly after the 3pm rebase.
  (That's when a new git snapshot runs from cron on kernel.org).  Sometimes I postpone
  this a little if I'm expecting to add something else later.  The actual build
  is just like any other package (make tag  ; make build).  If in doubt about whether
  to start a build, ask on #fedora-kernel.  If no-one is planning to do one,
  (or no-one answers after a while :)  then just kick one off.

I'm actually quite excited about this.  You're the first 'real' external committer
to the Fedora kernel.  (Well, dwmw2 has you beat by a week or two, but as he's
Red Hat alumni, I don't think that really counts :-)

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk