gspca as part of the rawhide kernel?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Jul 18 12:20:30 UTC 2008

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 09:45:06AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > As some of you know I've been working on improving webcam support under Fedora,
>  > see:
>  > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterWebcamSupport
>  > http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/
>  >
>  > One of the things I've been working on is in beating gspcav2 (a v4l2 port of
>  > gspca) into shape, although I must admit most of the work has been done by
>  > Jean-François Moine, the latest version is available from his mercurial tree
>  > and it has been pulled into the official v4l-dvb tree for wider testing. Once
>  > it has been in the v4l-dvb tree it will make its way into the mainline hopefuly
>  > for 2.6.27, if not then certainly fotr 2.6.28.
>
> F10 is going to be 2.6.27, so the former would be awesome, but if it ends up being
> a .28 thing, us carrying it for a little while longer isn't a big deal.
>
> Given there's motion on this going upstream, and it has a Fedora contributor
> taking responsibility for it (ie, you), I'm ok with the idea of this going in.

Good news, I've just heard from v4l-dvb upstream (Mauro) that his pull request
to Linus for the 2.6.27 merge window will include gspca, so I guess I won't be
adding this as an additional patch to the rawhide kernel. I may add some small
bugfix patches on top of gspca in case of important fixes which miss getting
merged for one reason or the other, but the big chunk is coming through the
mainline.

Regards,

Hans