patch naming scheme.

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 21:27:00 UTC 2008

Dave Jones wrote:
> For a while, diffs in the Fedora kernel have followed the form
>
> linux-2.6-*.patch
>
> Then, we started seeing some git snapshots show up as
>
> git-*.diff
>
> and lately, everything seems to have gone bananas, with no
> particular scheme at all..
>
> nvidia-agp.patch, percpu_counter_sum_cleanup.patch, xfs-barrier-fix.patch
> etc etc.
>
> Maybe I'm being overly anal.  The linux-2.6- prefix is kind of pointless
> (given that duh, they're all going to be against Linux 2.6), but it
> does group things nicely in an ls output if nothing else.
>
> So, what are peoples thoughts on this?
>
> 	Dave

If we'd prefix them with the source package name, in this case "kernel", it
would make it a lot easier to find things in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES when we've
got SRPMs from different packages installed.  We should probably avoid using
names that refer to a specific upstream version, because the name becomes
misleading once we rebase.  When there's a suitable upstream patch name, like
the names Andrew Morton uses in -mm, we should probably use those (perhaps
prepended with kernel-) to make it clear what it corresponds to upstream.

-- Chris