patch naming scheme.

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sat Oct 11 01:43:34 UTC 2008

Dave Jones wrote:
> For a while, diffs in the Fedora kernel have followed the form
>
> linux-2.6-*.patch
>
> Then, we started seeing some git snapshots show up as
>
> git-*.diff
>
> and lately, everything seems to have gone bananas, with no
> particular scheme at all..
>
> nvidia-agp.patch, percpu_counter_sum_cleanup.patch, xfs-barrier-fix.patch
> etc etc.

Urk, even though Dave says he wasn't picking on me, 2/3 of those
mentioned were mine.  Oops.  Sorry.  :)  One of them was from the
upstream patch queue, the other was just whatever name popped into my
head when I imported it into a quilt stack.

As an aside - but maybe relevant - how much description / lineage /
whatever should go into the spec file comments vs. into the TODO file?

-Eric