X600 driver instability?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Oct 14 02:00:34 UTC 2008

Yo,

Is anyone else seeing instability in recent X600 builds in Fedora (when
using 3D desktop effects)? I'm getting occasional X server crashes that
never used to happen with this driver - I haven't had chance to track
down when it started happening in as of yet but the box stability is
restored by disabling desktop effects. I need this box, but I'll
schedule some crash time over the weekend or something.

Next time it happens, I'll capture the X server output. There's no oops
but a reproducer seems to be along the lines of:

* Login to desktop
* Restart VPN and connect to remove IRC proxy
* xchat goes nuts with popups catching up replay traffic
* kernel ringbuffer shows random segfaults from e.g. DBUS

Not much to go on yet. Just thought I'd share :)

Jon.