X600 driver instability?

Eric Paris eparis at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 02:31:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 22:00 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> Yo,
>
> Is anyone else seeing instability in recent X600 builds in Fedora (when
> using 3D desktop effects)? I'm getting occasional X server crashes that
> never used to happen with this driver - I haven't had chance to track
> down when it started happening in as of yet but the box stability is
> restored by disabling desktop effects. I need this box, but I'll
> schedule some crash time over the weekend or something.
>
> Next time it happens, I'll capture the X server output. There's no oops
> but a reproducer seems to be along the lines of:
>
> * Login to desktop
> * Restart VPN and connect to remove IRC proxy
> * xchat goes nuts with popups catching up replay traffic
> * kernel ringbuffer shows random segfaults from e.g. DBUS

No useful information, but I (finally after about 8 hours of banging my
head against a wall) managed to get F10 installed on this laptop and
fully updated to rawhide over the weekend.  After about 45 minutes of
use X froze hard.  No mouse, not keyboard, no nothin'.  I didn't turn on
anything but defaults on the Beta installer and yum update.

I gave up and booted back into F9 since I do all my work on this thing.
But if there is someway I might be able to collect something useful let
me know!

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M24 1P [Radeon Mobility X600]

-Eric