X600 driver instability?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 02:55:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 22:00 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> Yo,
>
> Is anyone else seeing instability in recent X600 builds in Fedora (when
> using 3D desktop effects)? I'm getting occasional X server crashes that
> never used to happen with this driver - I haven't had chance to track
> down when it started happening in as of yet but the box stability is
> restored by disabling desktop effects. I need this box, but I'll
> schedule some crash time over the weekend or something.
>
> Next time it happens, I'll capture the X server output. There's no oops
> but a reproducer seems to be along the lines of:
>
> * Login to desktop
> * Restart VPN and connect to remove IRC proxy
> * xchat goes nuts with popups catching up replay traffic
> * kernel ringbuffer shows random segfaults from e.g. DBUS
>
> Not much to go on yet. Just thought I'd share :)

Try with nomodeset maybe but I don't think it'll help.

I'm trying to stabilise the 3D driver again for compiz, we've rewritten
radeon support pretty much from scratch for F10 so I'm now fixing the
bugs.

Isn't desktop effect unuseably slow for you? I thought the speed might
stop people from using it long before the crashing.

Dave.