RE: kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11 compiled from source will not boot‏‏

Markus Kesaromous remotestar at live.com
Tue Aug 11 04:54:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:41:52AM, Christopher Brown wrote:
> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:41:52 +0100
> From: snecklifter at gmail.com
> To: remotestar at live.com
> CC: fedora-kernel-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11 compiled from source will not boot‏‏
>
> 2009/8/10 Markus Kesaromous :
>>
>> Dear list,
>> There is something seriously wrong with this kernel release.
>> It compiles - but will not boot all the way. It hangs somewhere.
>> I even tried to boot into single user mode. I never get to the shell
>> prompt when booting in single user mode, nor to the
>> gnome login banner when letting it boot in multiuser mode.
>> After some 30-45 minutes I  Ctrl-Alt_Del and the kernel
>> pops the message
>>
>> Stopping all md devices
>> ..
>> and the pc reboots.
>>
>> I did not have this problem with these kernels
>> 2.6.29.6-213.fc11
>> 2.6.29.5-191.fc11
>>
>> Are there others who have tried to build  2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11
>> from source rpm and configured the kernel in any way before
>> building?
>> Did you see any errors when running make modules_install
>> as I did? Did the resulting kernel boot up all the way?
>>
>> If you need more info, please let me know.
>
> The main piece of information you appear to have missed off is the
> modifications you have made in your build. I would suggest the
> following for further reading:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Christopher Brown

Thank you Christopher. The steps to build the kernel at URL
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel
were exactly what I needed. I was not aware of this document before.

The only thing "extra" I had to do was to untar linux-2.6.29.tar.bz2
and fix drivers/staging/rt2860/config.mk, and then re-tar.

Guess I should have created a patch, and should have added that patch
to the spec file. But, since this is only one-off, I did not see the need for it.
I am sure there will be yet another kernel update for whic I will have to
repeat this whole process. What a pain in the neck! If I had known that the Atheros 9K series of mini-pci cards were supported natively, I would not  have bought the Ralink 2860 card.

Thanx again for your help.

Cheers,

Markus