Switching Fedora to pae kernel by default?

Avi Kivity avi at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 09:41:04 UTC 2009

Christopher Brown wrote:
> May I point out that those that care enough to want PAE usually know
> how to go about getting it enabled whereas those that have install
> failure because they're running non-PAE hardware probably wont know
> how to go about getting it disabled.

You mean, ordinary users don't care about security?  Because that's one
of the advantages that PAE brings.

You're right, they don't care, we have to care for them.

> The fall-out from this going onto the livecd makes me shudder.

You're pushing out a development problem to the users.

> The original argument that many machines have 4GB of memory is simply
> false.

My ~3yo home box has 4GB.  I'm not an ordinary user (or it would be a
computer, not a "box"), but I don't think you can claim 4GB is rare.

> Manufacturers aren't shipping anything more than 2GB on
> desktops at most unless you have oodles of money to throw at a
> Alienware box or something. Sure, servers come with more but Fedora is
> not really a reality for a long term server O.S

Servers should use x86_64 anyway.  But I strongly disagree about
penalizing the future to cater for the past.