Switching Fedora to pae kernel by default?

Kyle McMartin kyle at infradead.org
Wed Jan 21 14:27:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:15:24AM +0000, Christopher Brown wrote:
> The fall-out from this going onto the livecd makes me shudder.

Jesse explained this to me,

To clarify: the anaconda installer is i586, and all 3 kernel flavours
are shipped on the disc. I would imagine the livecd is i586 and will
remain that way.

So it's really a moot point, and the only difference is installing
PAE by default on machines which support it versus the i686 kernel.

Since we're not giving anything up on the disc, then there's no big
deal.

The NX argument is alright, but we still ship execshield anyway, so
it's (somewhat) mitigated.

Anyway, cheers.
	Kyle