enable CONFIG_INTEL_TXT

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Apr 1 14:04:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 09:52 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 04/01/2010 09:31 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > Just to reinforce this point:  Building a custom kernel is simply not an
> > option for many users, whether due to evaluation and accreditation
> > requirements, getting support, or whatever.  Whereas installing
> > additional userspace and performing configuration of system is much more
> > feasible.  Disabling the kernel option precludes use of this
> > functionality for many users who could otherwise make use of it.
>
> Yes, but people who have those restrictions are far more likely to be
> doing those operations on RHEL, as opposed to Fedora.

I suspect you'll find that even many Fedora users are loathe to build a
custom kernel.  I doubt the participants in this discussion (or even
subscribers to this list) constitute the typical Fedora user.

In any event, while I'd prefer that the config option be enabled in both
Fedora and RHEL, I'd take the latter if that were the only option.  But
is it really likely that RHEL will enable a kernel config option if it
isn't enabled first in Fedora?

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency