RFC: re-enable auto loading of floppy driver when the PNP info says there is a floppy

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Apr 12 18:03:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 13:27:22 -0400,
  Kyle McMartin <kyle at mcmartin.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 01:25:36PM -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:18:37PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > > I am not an expert on the tradeoffs on the kernel side and don't have a
> > > real strong opinion there. But I do think if floppy drives aren't available
> > > by default, there should be some documentation somewhere that tells people
> > > how to enable their floppy drives. That isn't necessarily the job of the
> > > kernel maintainers.
> > >

> > You're asking for a non-trivial amount of work for an ever (and I mean
> > rapidly) diminishing set of users. That is why this is unreasonable.
>
> Ok, the latter two aren't, but still. :) (Yes, I agree, it should be
> release noted or something.)

I mentioned the issue on the docs list and suggested a release notes entry
and perhaps FAQ inclusion.

A one time user space solution isn't going to happen in time for f13
in any case and it seems very unlikely the kernel is going to change
before f13 (related to floppy support), so that seems like a good idea
for f13.

I went and searched the f12 and f11 release notes and didn't see a reference
to the change there. (I think the change first affected f12. I don't have
an f11 instance to test the current situation there, but that is pretty much
moot now.)