RFC: re-enable auto loading of floppy driver when the PNP info says there is a floppy

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Tue Apr 13 13:59:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:27:53AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Here are my numbers:
> Asus M2N SLI deluxe: PNP0700 disappears
> Abit KV8 Pro:        PNP0700 disappears (*)
> Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA:  PNP0700 disappears
> Compaq Evo N600C:    PNP0700 disappears
> Dell Latitude E6400: no floppy config possible, laptop, no PNP0700
> MSI Wind u100:       no floppy config possible, laptop, no PNP0700
>
> *) After setting floppy controller to disabled in a separate config screen,
>     simply setting the attached floppy type to None does not work.

So of the machines you tested that have a floppy controller, 25% are
buggy in the way that Kyle described. That's a pretty compelling
argument against assuming that PNP0700 indicates the presence of a
floppy drive. If you're interested in improving this, perhaps you could
try adding a check for the CMOS bytes that indicate floppy configuration
and make that check conditional on the machine being a PC? That might
fix enough of these cases that we could turn the module loading back on
by default.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org