enable CONFIG_INTEL_TXT

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Mar 31 20:43:23 UTC 2010

On 03/31/2010 04:40 PM, Eric Paris wrote:
> Are there any objections to enabling CONFIG_INTEL_TXT on x86_64?

We don't traditionally enable kernel config options for functionality
that we have no intention (or capacity) to natively support in Fedora.

Seeing as how Fedora has no plans to utilize TPM, I don't think we
should take this action, as it would merely imply a level of support for
this functionality that we will not be able to provide.

Given that users who wish to use INTEL_TXT will need to make other
customizations to their system environment in order to use it, I don't
see why they can't make a custom kernel to go with it.

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't be enabling "dead code" chunks at
random, especially not in situations like this where the primary use is
to encourage vendor utilization of closed source binary blobs or
trusting a hardware vendor in matters of encryption.

~spot