enable CONFIG_INTEL_TXT

James Morris jmorris at namei.org
Wed Mar 31 21:51:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Eric Paris wrote:

> This config option allows a user to download new (open source) software
> (tboot) along with other third party software to verify the correctness
> of the BOOTED system.

My feeling is that this needs to be dealt with upstream, and that the open
source tboot needs to be delivered first.

> Are there any objections to enabling CONFIG_INTEL_TXT on x86_64?

Yes.

- We should be doing kernel development upstream unless there's an
  extraordinary reason not to (typically, following a request from Linus).

- We should not be adding kernel infrastructure to support proprietary,
  closed source

- Especially so, given that this is a security feature

I'd love to see support for TXT -- I think we can do some very important
things with it, but I don't think it's workable as open source if it
depends on closed proprietary code.

- James
--
James Morris