Dom0 xen support in Fedora 15?

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Nov 10 10:39:46 UTC 2010

On 11/10/10 01:59, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:12:15AM +0000, M A Young wrote:
>> However for xen dom0 support to be a Fedora 15 feature we would really
>> need to have the appropriate drivers in the kernel when Fedora 15 ships,
>> so my main question is how likely is it that backported xen drivers would
>> be accepted into the Fedora kernel?
>
> Not particularly likely, I'm really sick of carrying backports of crap
> for aeons on a "promise" that things will get upstream.

Well, unlike 20 kernel releases back the xen guys are actually getting
their stuff upstream now.  Chances are pretty good that the drivers make
it into the 2.6.38 merge window.

> If things are
> already /merged/ in 2.6.37-git by then, then maybe, but see below.

Could being in linux-next convince you too?

>> I would also be interested in any
>> other comments on this proposal.
>>

> What's the overhead?

Just some xen specific drivers below drivers/xen/

> Why would we want to support it? What's the upside?

Fedora will be able to work as Xen host?

cheers,
   Gerd