Fan+heat troubles on MacBook Pro

christoffer.buchholz at gmail.com christoffer.buchholz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 21:36:33 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

I own a MacBook Pro which I bought brand new in January 2010. I have tried
running Fedora 14 (and 13) on it, but I am having some troubles. Especially,
the fan is not functioning properly which leads to very hot temperatures
nearing 70 degrees celcius when I am not doing more than running irssi in a
terminal.

I having been digging around, and loading the applesmc and coretemp modules
scored a few degrees. Also running fedora at runlevel 3 didnt do much
difference, so I guess the problem is not X but the Linux kernel.
FYI, I am using the nouveau driver and not the proprietary nvidia driver. I
tried the nvidia driver, but it didnt do any difference, so I went with the
nouveau one.
I have tried with powertop and enabling its suggestions, but it didnt help.

I and writing this mail in hope to get some tips back with things I could
try, and also to see if this is something that is worth filing a bug on, or
if the issue is somewhere else.

Sincerely,
Chris Buchholz