Fan+heat troubles on MacBook Pro

Steven Noonan steven at uplinklabs.net
Mon Nov 29 16:22:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:09 AM, christoffer.buchholz at gmail.com
<christoffer.buchholz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah okay, I see. As I mentioned, I am not very skilled in this department.
>
> About the fan. Right now, one sensor is recording +70.5°C and another one is
> recording +69.0°C. The rest of the sensors records temperatures around
> +40.0°C. The fan is running at only 2001 RPM, and I don't see it move up and
> down in speed ever. Modules coretemp and applesmc is loaded. I see that
> changing the minimum speed would prevent heat, but on the other hand, making
> it go 4000 RPM at the minimum, it would make quite a noisy laptop. I see
> this could be a temporary solution, but not good in the long run.
>
> You don't have any clue to why the fan is not behaving correctly and just
> stays just around the minimum speed, instead of actually keeping the system
> cooled down?

No, I don't know what the cause could be. Perhaps the people who
developed the applesmc driver would know. I've added Henrik, the
current maintainer of applesmc, to the CC list. Henrik, any idea why
the fans wouldn't spin up when the temperature increases so much?
Could applesmc have something to do with this?

Chris, you could try to test and see if applesmc is the cause. Try
preventing applesmc from loading (add 'blacklist applesmc' to
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf), and see if your fans still stay at
2000 RPM under CPU-heavy workloads. Of course, you'll have to just
listen to find out if the fans spin up instead of checking sysfs, but
this will at least help debug the situation.