Broadcom brcm80211 driver

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 20:56:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:11:50PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 03:37:28PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> > Sure, it'll hopefully land in staging and be in the rawhide kernel in
> > due course, but given that I'm lazy and bought the netbook in question
> > specifically to run rawhide(!), would there be huge objections to a
> > patch sooner that pulled in this driver until it's there officially?
> > Sure, it's experimental, but it's self-contained and this is rawhide.
> > Let me know if this would be just a silly/bad idea.
>
> Pretty much. We're reluctant to enable anything in staging until it's
> clear that it's going to form the basis of ongoing development (rather
> than being neglected and b43 gaining support), and we'd want an
> indication that John Linville's willing to deal with the bugs. Breaking
> suspend/resume is an absolute dealbreaker at present.

I would prefer not to 'jump the gun', for the reasons Matthew stated.

That said, I would strongly encourage you (i.e. jcm) and anyone else
to continue contributing to brcm80211 in order to help it transition
to drivers/net/wireless ASAP.  If you would prefer to use brcm80211
as a hardware guide for improving b43, that's find by me too.  :-)

John
--
John W. Linville		The truth will set you free, but first it will
linville at redhat.com			make you miserable. -- James A. Garfield