[RFC] kernel.spec: reverse dependency logic for moving packages between kernel and kernel-modules-extra

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Fri Dec 2 18:42:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 01:13:33PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 01:02:03PM -0500, John W. Linville wrote:

> > I don't think I'm very fond of the kernel-modules-extra package.
> > But if it is going to be around, it needs to process the dependencies
> > in a way that doesn't require both modules to be installed all the
> > time. :-)
>
> Honestly, we might want to just call depmod to work out _all_ the
> dependencies, then parse modules.dep and move everything once.  Playing
> games either way is just going to play shell games moving a module
> around.

Honestly, I still think that has it backwards.  If a module is
important enough to stay in kernel (e.g. a hardware device driver),
then dependency on a module that was slated for extras shouldn't pull
the more important module over there -- it should pull the "extra"
module back to kernel instead.

John
--
John W. Linville		The water won't run clean until you get
linville at redhat.com			the pigs out of the creek.