GMA500

Bodhi Zazen bodhi.zazen at montanalinux.org
Fri Dec 2 18:47:34 UTC 2011

There is support for the intel GMA500 in the staging drivers. It offers decent 2d support, but not 3d.

The driver is close to being in the main stream kernel, so I would like to request it be build as a module.

There is one "SNAFU" , the staging driver, psb_gfx, conflicts with the "polusbo" kernel module (CONFIG_STUB_POULSBO=m)

So if you enable the staging driver, you need to disable the CONFIG_STUB_POULSBO=m

CONFIG_STUB_POULSBO=n
CONFIG_DRM=y # or module
CONFIG_DRM_PSB=m

The name of the staging driver varies, in the 3.2.0-rc3 it is DRM_PSB (I think similar names in other, older kernels as well).

With those (small) configuration changes the GMA500 , 2d graphics will work out of the box (rather then having X fail).

To be honest, I do not think the STUB_POULSBO is used by any other hardware.

I will be filing a bug report on the stub driver and conflicts with psb_gfx with kernel.org (upstream).

Thank you.