avoiding taint for integrated compate-wireless modules

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 21:35:56 UTC 2011

So we had the compat-wireless package integrated into the Rawhide
kernel builds for a while.  Then it was pointed-out that due to
upstream commit 2449b8ba0745327c5fa49a8d9acffe03b2eded69, these modules
were tainting the kernel with TAINT_OOT_MODULE.  In response to that, I
turned-off the compat-wirelss bits to give myself a chance to regroup.

Today I posted an RFC patch on LKML, but I doubt if it will get
merged upstream:

Anyway, it resolves the taint issue for the integrated compat-wireless
build.

I did a test kernel build here:

Is anyone going to puke on my shoes if I add this patch to Fedora
and reenable the integrated compat-wireless builds?

John
--
John W. Linville		The water won't run clean until you get
linville at redhat.com			the pigs out of the creek.