[SOLVED] 2.6.35.10-74 compilation (and build) problems

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 7 03:27:04 UTC 2011

> Well, our good advisor did not indicate that I need to use
> the absolute pathname for the config-local :)
>
> Will retry.
>
> Thanx for the good observation.

I can't believe I haven't thought of this earlier!!! It has been staring
me in the face all this time!

Here it is - the solution to *my* problem, though I am not sure how
'generic' this might be and how could be adapted for other architectures:

After running "rpmbuild -bp":

cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.35.fc13/linux-2.6.35.x86_64
cp configs/kernel-2.6.35.10-x86_64.config all-options (this file seems
to contain all the available options, or at least the important ones I
care about, and could be used as a basis)
cp ~/kernel/solar-34-options.config .config (my .34 config options)
make oldconfig (answer all questions)
vi .config and add the arch magic
perl ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/merge.pl .config all-options > my-options
mv my-options .config
cp .config ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/config-x86_64-generic
cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
rpmbuild -bb ....

- NO need to alter the spec file
- NO need to alter anything else
- NO need to deviate from the 'normal' build process
- IT WORKS!

The key is executing the perl script after make oldconfig, which
amalgamates all the options not shown/included between kernel revisions.