2.6.35.10-74 compilation (and build) problems

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 7 21:09:41 UTC 2011

>> Hi Jarod.
>> I tried it and it failed miserably.
>> In fact, it does not overwrite the config values in the source tree with
>> the config values in config-local.
>> When it started building for my i686 platform,
>> I peeked into the .config file in the source tree.
>> It had ignored my settings completely!
>> So, I think we need to go back to the drawing board to  find a way
>> that really gives the builder his chosed config items via the rpmbuild
>> method.
>>

> I just implemented exactly what I described here locally, and it worked
> perfectly. The config-local file needs to be a Source: file so that it
> actually gets included in the source rpm, and I'm not sure why you're
> doing anything touching debuginfo bits...
>
> My test case was to simply add CONFIG_VIDEO_VIA_CAMERA=y to my
> config-local, as I know its disabled in the stock config, because it
> doesn't build (due to a dependency on updated viafb bits in 2.6.37). I
> created a source rpm with that modified config-local, then did an
> rpmbuild, and it failed on drivers/media/video/via-camera.c exactly like
> I'd expected it to. So I suspect you've either done something wrong with
> your implementation or you execution. :)

I can also confirm that this does not work. I have attached a .config
file in the first post of this thread (the one you were 'kind enough' to
respond to) - try that and see:

1) That you get a compiled kernel rpm; and
2) That in the config file in the /boot directory of this kernel package
you have CONFIG_NR_CPUS=4 (one 'unique' option to that particular
.config); and
3) That you have the whole DRM_NOVEAU group of options as they *should*
be the ones which are 'amalgamated' from the 'common' configs;

If you get all 3, then I and/or JD are doing something wrong, if not,
your patch goes the way of the dodo!