[fedora-arm] adding fake-kernel to repository

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Wed Jun 8 18:15:15 UTC 2011

Jon Masters wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 11:14 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>
>> What do the kernel maintainers think about having a kernel subpackage
>> that just provides fake deps as part of the main kernel package?
>
> Anyway. To get back to the point...there are some systems that cannot
> run a stock Fedora kernel yet or need fake kernel deps for other
> reasons. Is there any fundamental objection to the fake-kernel package
> being integrated by way of an official kernel sub-package? (perhaps even
> selectively buildable and not built by default on e.g. x86?).

Do not want. This is just as easily accomplished by a separate spec that
doesn't clutter up the official kernel spec even further than it already is.

A kernel-none package would, however, be potentially amusing to even
relatively sane arches like x86. Install the kernel-none variant, and
you don't get kernel updates via yum, which may be desired, if you're
running your own locally built kernel and don't want the bootloader
constantly being updated to point to the newly installed kernel rpm when
you really want the locally built kernel to keep being the default boot
kernel... But this has no way of working in Anaconda, which is another
reason why I think it has no place in the actual kernel spec. I presume
people "installing" on ARM are creating an image on another host, rather
than actually running through an anaconda install.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com