config-local question

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Wed Mar 9 14:28:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 08:29:35AM -0500, Don Zickus wrote:
> cc'ing kernel-fedora
>
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 06:26:13PM -0500, M Whitehead wrote:
> > Don,
> >   I'm trying compile a F14 2.3.37-2 kernel with some support for old
> > hardware. I'm trying to re-enable CONFIG_ISA and a few old ethernet
> > cards such as CONFIG_EL2.  Putting them into config-local doesn't seem
> > to be turning them back on.
> >
> > Do you know what dependency I might have missed?
>
> I would need to see your .config to see what you are doing wrong, but it
> works for me over here.  CONFIG_ISA seems to be enabled by default on
> Fedora in the git tree so you shouldn't have to do anything there.

CONFIG_ISA is entirely hidden on x86_64 these days.

Excerpt from arch/x86/Kconfig:

# x86_64 have no ISA slots, but do have ISA-style DMA.
config ISA_DMA_API
        def_bool y

if X86_32

config ISA
        bool "ISA support"
        ---help---
          Find out whether you have ISA slots on your motherboard.  ISA is the
          name of a bus system, i.e. the way the CPU talks to the other stuff
          inside your box.  Other bus systems are PCI, EISA, MicroChannel
          (MCA) or VESA.  ISA is an older system, now being displaced by PCI;
          newer boards don't support it.  If you have ISA, say Y, otherwise N.

endif # X86_32

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com