Proposal to add build of kernel-backports package to kernel.spec

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 17:08:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 12:50:44PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 12:40:00PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>
>  > > I'm thinking along the lines of having stuff just work by default rather
>  > > than having users file bugs when something breaks, and then having to
>  > > tell them 'oh, install compat-wireless'.
>  >
>  > You mean just have it in the base kernel package?  I would be happy
>  > with that.
>
> yeah.
>
>  >  The idea for a seperate package was mostly to give
>  > an escape hatch for those that didn't want the later drivers for
>  > whatever reason.
>
> I'd have thought the opposite would be desirable. People usually *want* new drivers.

OK, so the truth is that I just wanted to learn how to produce those
extra RPM from the kernel.spec file -- is that so wrong??? :-)

>  >  But if we stick to the compat-wireless releases
>  > based on stable kernels, I don't think there is a great stability
>  > concern with just using them for everyone.
>  >
>  > Removing the bits of the patch that generate separate packages
>  > is nearly trivial.  I'll be happy to do that if that is generally
>  > preferred. :-)
>
> We've carried some of the other git trees in the past, and as long as someone
> is maintaining them (which I'm sure you will), I don't see it being a big deal.

You had me at "hello"...

Alright then, I'll plan on proceeding with this "soon" (since I'm
taking a long weekend).  What about F14?  Should I leave it with the
separate package stuff?  Go ahead and integrate the compat-wireless
bits into the base kernel package?  Or just leave it alone?

Thanks,

John
--
John W. Linville		The water won't run clean until you get
linville at redhat.com			the pigs out of the creek.