kernel 3.1 on F15

Josh Boyer jwboyer at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 17:18:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:27:30PM -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:

>   Question:
>
>          Is there any problem with compiling the F16 3.1 kernel source
> (together with new grubby) on F15 - and installing them?

You might have to upgrade module-init-tools, mdraid, and something else.
Also, you'll probably want to use the F15 config file as F16 and rawhide
change a number of things to be built in.

Or you could just wait for a bit until 3.1.1 comes out, and then we'll
upgrade F15 to that (in the form of 2.6.41.1).

>          What about kernel-tools - I note it adds cpupower things which
> don't seem to be on F15 - any issues here or could there be problems
> with cpuspeed stuff?
>
>       perf is now in kernel-tools which I assume is fine.

kernel-tools is the perf subpackage plus the cpupowerutils package
combined.  It should obsolete/provides both of those.

josh