Distro kernel update

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Sep 1 20:33:34 UTC 2011

Hi!

On 01.09.2011 15:44, Josh Boyer wrote:
> It's been a while since we gave an overview of the kernel plans for
> Fedora, so I thought I'd send a brief update on what we're doing, where
> we're headed, and why.
> [...]
> So there's a brief overview of the kernel happenings going on in Fedora.
> If you have questions, feel free to shoot an email to the fedora kernel
> list!

A few questions spring to my mind:

 * there were a few attempts and discussions to ship vanilla kernels in
separate repos or even directly in the Fedora repositories. I assume you
guys (or anybody else on this list) don't have time or interest in renew
those efforts? I sometimes think they might be handy to have, as it
would make statements like "please try the latest vanilla rpm; if it
does not work there try to bug upstream about it directly, as we in
Fedora likely won't come down to fix this individual bug, because it's a
very specific problem that bugs only very few people" possible.

 * how long will this continue to be a draft?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelStagingPolicy
And does it really has to be that strict?

 * Will updates like the one to 3.0/2.6.40 in F15 be considered normal
practice again for the future? Updates to latest kernel versions in the
latest Fedora release where nothing unusual in the past, but it always
bugged me that they happened to be so unpredictable (got way worse in
the past year afaics)t

 * if updates to latest kernel versions become normal again, wouldn't it
be a good idea to set up a repo that contains the latest rc kernels for
the latest Fedora release? Maybe a few people that (for example) run F15
now might be interested interested and improving the 3.1/2.6.41 packages
before they hit updates-testing once 3.1 got released.

CU
knurd

P.S.: Yes, I might be willing to help with some of the things I'm asking
for here as time permits; the latter is a problem right now that
frustrates me a bit :-/