Using merge_config.sh

Don Zickus dzickus at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 20:24:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 01:33:41PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We've been using merge.pl to merge Fedora's config file fragments for as
> long as I can remember.  However, in the interest of using what's
> upstream, I took a look at the newly added merge_config.sh script and
> what it would take to use that instead.

I remember looking at this last week and thinking the same thing.  I
remember hacking on merge.pl years ago and optimizing to run really fast.
Even today there are RH folks who complain it still runs slow.

I thought the same as you, why not start using the upstream approach and
have one less thing to maintain/worry about in the fedora spec file.

But the major plus with using perl was you could cache the file in memory
and it only had to be read once.  With the script, files are read multiple
times which add to the delay.

There is really no way around it unless upstream converts to perl or
python or even 'c'.

So I would be torn and lean away from it until the speed improves.  I know
if this makes it to RHEL people would complain and it would get ripped out
in favor of the old way.

My two cents.

Cheers,
Don