Severity level of disable IRQ messages?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 14:37:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 16:35 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I am getting syslog warnings sent out to my terminal sessions when
> IRQs get disabled. Is this really something severe enough to deserve
> that kind of notice? If so, should I be filing bugs?
>
> Sample message:
> Message from syslogd at wolff at Mar  7 16:29:51 ...
>  kernel:[63120.139549] Disabling IRQ 15
>
> This is with 3.3.0-0.rc6.git0.2.fc17.i686.PAE.

KERN_EMERG is a bit extreme but they're often real bugs.  That message
only fires if we've received a ton of interrupts with nothing handling
them, which means there's a device somewhere that we're either not
handling properly or not ignoring properly.

I think we'd need the content of /proc/interrupts and probably the
output of lspci -v to be able to do anything with the bug report.

- ajax