CONFIG_NR_CPUS

Josh Boyer jwboyer at redhat.com
Thu May 24 11:34:17 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 01:35:59AM +0200, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> On 05/24/2012 01:21 AM, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
>
> >bigger *Xeon* server, 8_sockets * 10_cores * 2_threads = 160
> >
> >Sun Fire X4800 M2 Server:
> >http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/servers/x86/sun-fire-x4800-m2/overview/index.html
> >

> >Super Micro X8OBN-F:
> >http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon7000/7500/x8obn-f.cfm
> >
> >2x HP ProLiant DL980 G7 Server (HP PREMA):
> >http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/15351-15351-3328412-241644-4222584.html?dnr=1
> >

> >2x IBM System x3950 X5 (2-node):
> >http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/hardware/enterprise/x3850x5/index.html
> >
> >SGI servers need MAXSMP.
>
> Also http://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/computing/servers/primergy/rack/rx900/
>
> ... and more are coming.

We made the change 2 days ago.  You're belaboring the point just a bit
now.

Also, the cheapest of these is $13k.  That's roughly 10x the cost of a
mid-high end home desktop and well outside Fedora's normal target user.
If someone wants to spend that kind of money on an enterprise server and
run Fedora on it, I'll gladly thank them for being a user but most of
those kinds of purchases are done by businesses that want something a
bit more stable and supported.

> Good bye Itanium, SPARC and POWER.

Hello ARM?

josh