An RFC related to Fedora Kernel Testing Initiative

Steffen Schwigon steffen.schwigon at amd.com
Tue Oct 23 08:32:23 UTC 2012

Hi!

Several weeks ago I read about

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelTestingInitiative
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelRegressionTestGuidelines

and recognized the vision is very similar to what we exercise for
several years in the AMD Operating System Research Center when writing
functional tests for Linux, Xen, and KVM.

After some polishing I just submitted an

  RFC: A common test container
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/23/101
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/23/105
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/23/102

to LKML.

I explicitely had the Fedora Kernel Testing Initiative in mind, I even
integrated a last missing part from the fedora testing vision into the
proposed lib: the ability to skip tests based on their "criticality
level".

But from several years of experience with Linux testing I think the best
place is to put a common stub *in* the kernel, and be able to proceed
from there.

If you are interested feel free to join the discussion on LKML, or if
you prefer tell me to forward it here.

Kind regards,
Steffen
--