FUDCon Paris kernel talk

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 19:44:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 06:37:58PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

 > In addition: Thanks for the public IRC meetings and the summaries
 > from them. They give a good insight, too.
 >
 > I hope this mail encourages you guys to keep on writing blog posts
 > and meetings summaries (or maybe even do it more often).

Thanks for the feedback.

We've mentioned a few things in the past in kernel meetings which I hope
we find some more time to do at some point to give more insight into
how we work etc.  One idea that came up at one point was documenting a
lifecycle of a bug, where we pick a bug, and show what happens from the day
it gets reported, what steps we go through to diagnose them etc, and
get them fixed etc. It's something we're currently not finding the time for
unfortunatly other than for really big bugs.

I've had a number of people emailing about the bug summary posts I
create on my blog. When I started doing them, I went into a lot more
depth about the bugs from that week, but it turned out to be very
time consuming, so it's become a lot more automated now, with a smaller
summary.  Perhaps one day we'll get to a situation where we aren't
quite so buried alive in bugs, and I can go back to deeper explanations.

We're also starting to think more about different things we could be doing
at fudcons to try and make our kernel sessions more 'interactive'.

Any suggestions for ways we can improve our visibility within the community
are welcomed.

	Dave