Kernel testing on GA Releases.

Josh Boyer jwboyer at redhat.com
Tue Jul 2 13:01:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 12:36:26PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 07/02/2013 12:29 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:07:06AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >>I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this but a lot of reporters
> >>test and run development and more recent kernels then those that are
> >>available via the usual GA update mechanism and recent changes [1]
> >>which introduce hard dependency on dracut and systemd versions on
> >>kernel installs are preventing the ability for reporters to either
> >>a) enable fedora-rawhide-kernel-nodebug.repo or b) manually install
> >Can you elaborate on "reporters"?  As in media reporters?  If so, I'm
> >pretty sure we don't want them running rawhide nodebug kernels on older
> >releases.
> >

> We in QA community usually call the individuals that test and file
> bug reports "reporters" but since you guys are trying to handle your

OK.

> own QA coverage you might call them something else and based on your

We aren't handling our own QA coverage.

> response you seem to be not interesting in have people test kernel
> on GA release ahead of time or are planning to handle that
> differently in your own process otherwise this being broken would
> have mattered the kernel community.

It's unfortunate, but there isn't much that can be done.  It's rare that
things change in the kernel that prevent it from being installed on
older releases, but it does happen.  You can install it on F19, which as
of today is a GA release.  If Harald includes kernel-install in the F18
version of systemd, we can adjust the requirements there too.

josh