Kernel versioning policy

Kyle McMartin kyle at redhat.com
Mon Jul 8 14:22:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 04:20:52PM +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> What is a policy of choosing EXTRAVERSION in Fedora kernels? I've found
> some short info about what is 200, 300 etc. but I'd like to understand
> precise algorithm of giving everything that's between dash and fcNN (NN
> - fedora version). What does -300.x mean?
>
> Sorry, for my novice question but I can't find any reliable source of
> information about Fedora's kernel version naming policy.

I don't think it's documented anywhere, and I'm not on the Fedora kernel
team so this is a best guess, but:

I assume it's set such that for two identical kernel versions, the fc19
version would always be NVR-newer than the fc18 version, so that you
always get upgraded to a fc19 kernel when you update, instead of getting
stuck.

--Kyle